XOXO Queenie



A blog about Fashion, Food, Family, Health, Kids, Marriage and Everything in between!



Monday, March 29, 2010

Book Review ~ #1

Call me a Book Worm if you want to but I. LOVE. TO. READ! I love the fact that you can get lost and be taken to a completely different world all with a page full of words. In the past 3 months I have read 5 really great books. Here they are along with what I thought about them...

1). The Overnight Socialite by Bridie Clark - This book was a cute book. It is about a Midwest girl who is trying to make it as a fashion designer in NYC. After having a bout of bad luck she is proposed with an offer that she cannot refuse. A handsome New Yorker makes it his mission to transform her into a socialite and if he can have her pass as a Socialite among other Socialites he not only wins a bet but it will launch his career. But can he go through with it? Does he start seeing her in a different light & start to fall in love? This is what kept me wanting more.

2). Dear John by Nicholas Sparks - This is one of my favorite love stories of all times. I finished this book in 2 1/2 days and I also cried several times while reading this book. This is a story about true love. A bad boy turned good falls in love with a do good college girl in 2 weeks. This book is not only about the power of love but about a father son relationship that made me cry more than the actual love story. The recently released movie does not do this book justice. I cannot give too much about the story in this novel because this is a MUST READ!

3). Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom - This book really made me think about life and God. This is a true story about the author, Mitch Albom, having a personal relationship with his Rabi. What would you do if a man of faith asked you to give a eulogy at his funeral? For Albom it turned into an 8 year experience about life lessons and a search for God and he shares it with us in this beautiful book.

4). Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger - Yes, the same author that brought us The Devil Wears Prada brought us her third novel, Chasing Harry Winston. This novel is about 3 best friends living the city life in New York who find themselves quickly approaching 30 and make a year long pact. While one friend has just been dumped and decides she is going on a world wide search of one night stands. Another friend has the prefect boyfriend and job, but once her perfect boyfriend asks her to spend the rest of her life with him she quickly starts to re-assess her life. Finally the last friend is a beautiful knock out Brazilian who just can't get enough of men but is challenged and makes it a quest to be engaged in 1 year. This novel is filled with laughs and keeps you wondering with the turn of every page what will happen next?

5). The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks - Another GREAT tear jerker by Mr. Sparks! While this novel wasn't up there with The Notebook & Dear John it was a beautiful story about a teenage girl who has to spend the summer with her dad and really wants nothing to do with him. While over the course of the novel we find that she falls in love with boy she never thought would be her type and we get more in depth with why she has so much anger towards her dad and how she quickly starts to see her dad in a different light. I loved how Mr. Sparks depicted a First love with a summer romance and how a father/daughters relationship gets mended over time. I can't wait to see this movie.

How about you Sucias...have you read any good books or any of these books lately? Which ones are or have been your favorites? Let me know, you might see them on my next Book Review. And If you haven't started to read, get your butt in gear and make some time. Books are prefect for the summer while your laying out by the pool or even at the beach.

Till next week Sucias!

XOXO

Queenie

5 comments:

I.M. said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't read fiction in years, but I enjoyed your synopsis. My daughter belongs to a book club at work. I'll pass along the info, and have her take a look at your blog.

Queenie said...

Thanks Girlie :)

Anonymous said...

I would rather watch the movies.

Anonymous said...

Love stories are great, but once it's mixed with adventure and suspense, than the power of love is truly tested. A book I recommend for you to read is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Here you get a story with a true female protagonist living during a time where the United States has become avid fans of competition, violence, and death. It criticizes Americans' passion towards survival, greed, and "reality" television.

This book too is going to be a movie, but I don't see producers pulling it off as intelligently as Collins depicted it in her novel

One Luv

Queenie said...

Thanks for the suggestion "One Luv" I will put that book on my "To Read" list